Research continues to show that living in a state of gratitude has a positive impact on our mental and physical well-being. During the month of November, especially near Thanksgiving, people tend to be more aware of what they're thankful for. These 5 tips will help you to be more grateful every day of the year.
1) Write a thank you note: Not only does it remind you what you're thankful for, but it also makes the person receiving the note feel good. Try sending a thank you note to someone at least once a month.
2) Keep a gratitude journal: At the end of every day write in a journal what you're thankful for. It can even be something as simple as a warm, sunny day.
3) Meditate: Meditation is a great opportunity to focus inward and be present in the moment. An easy practice is to think about something you're grateful for as you inhale and then with the exhale let those thankful thoughts out into the universe.
4) Pay attention to what you say: Be mindful of when you're speaking negatively about someone or something. Less negative talk leads to fewer negative thoughts.
5) Keep a visual reminder: A post-it note, piece of jewelry, or even something simple like a rubberband around your wrist, can be a great reminder to be grateful. Look at this item on a daily basis and think about all you have to be thankful for.
For more tips on living a healthier lifestyle, contact Dr. Nikki Porteus at APEX Wellness Center by clicking here.